Survey report about tourist specific reasons to travel in cross border area of Mehedinti county
Survey report about tourist specific reasons to travel in cross border area of Mehedinti county was finally issued.
The purpose of the research was to highlight the characteristics, preferences and expectations of tourists in the cross-border region covered by both counties (Mehedinti and Borski) in order to develop new tourism products.
– to quantify the demographic, economic, social and geographical data of tourists staying in the cross-border region covered by both counties (Mehedinti and Borski) during the survey;
– determine the opinion of tourists regarding the place of accommodation, services and facilities, the way of organizing the trip, the existing sources of information, etc.;
– determine patterns related to the mode of travel, perceptions regarding the financial value, preferences related to holidays and interests of tourists lodged in the cross-border region covered by both counties (Mehedinti and Borski).
The sociological research was carried out between September and December 2019 and was implemented in four stages:
- Elaboration of the test questionnaire for the survey (September) In accordance with the international evaluation practices in the field, the team of specialists of SC EVERYDAYASSIST CONSULTING SRL has elaborated the initial version of the questionnaire.
The initial version of the test questionnaire was discussed in a workshop conducted with the management and the project managers. As a result of the workshop work, the questionnaire was adapted to the specific needs of the project.
- Qualitative research for testing the survey questionnaire (September) During this stage, a series of group interviews and in-depth interviews were conducted, the purpose of which was to test the questionnaire by the users of statistical data of different categories of users. The questionnaire tested was improved by rephrasing questions that were not quite clear to respondents, by introducing other questions relevant to users and excluding questions that were not relevant or too complicated for them. The final version of the questionnaire was approved by the Contracting Authority.
- Quantitative research (survey) October-November 2019.
We performed a statistical certification by using the previously completed questionnaire, which was administered online, via google forms (https://forms.gle/JtJuAyiUE3oFqUtf8). The tool was designed following the critical analysis of the specialized literature and was structured in several parts, each being adapted after certain researches. 550 questionnaires were completed, 530 in Romanian and 20 in English. The qualitative analysis of the answers to the open questions and the quantitative analysis was done for the other items. Following the pilot study and the consultation of experts in the field, the questionnaire was modified in order to maximize the quality of the resulting information. In the case of the pilot study, both visitors and non-visitors were included, the questionnaire being administered online.
The quantitative research method was represented by the survey. The instrument used was the questionnaire, which was self-administered. The information was collected between October and November 2019. The sample consisted of 550 questionnaires. The tourists had the opportunity to complete the questionnaires at various accommodation units in Mehedinti and near tourist objectives. Data processing and analysis was performed in the SPSS program, and the answers to the open questions were coded and interpreted.
Questionnaire language: Romanian language on national sample, English language on sample of international tourists.
The data collected were interpreted using the univariate analysis of social demographics, including gender, age, location, social context; descriptive and quantitative statistics, including frequency tables. More than data analysis, the main purpose of this methodology is to triangulate emerging findings at European level and present them in several languages and countries.
The sampling universe: the adult population, staying in a commercial accommodation unit in the cross-border region covered by Mehedinti county for at least one night.
Sampling: by age groups, nationality, sex, income, social categories, studies, development regions. The sampling was done by the random route method in the last layer, aiming that the selection of the sample persons corresponds to the proportional quotas from the adult population for the criteria mentioned above (socio-demographic characteristics of the respondents (gender, age, level). education, employment, etc.)
Representativeness: the sample is representative for the non-institutionalized adult urban population of Romania, with a tolerable error of +/- 3%, for a 95% confidence level.
Data validation: In order to correct the unequal probabilities of selection of persons, the sample was weighted and validated on the basis of INS data and of the Population and Housing Census.
Sample volume: 550 respondents, 18 years of age and over.
4.Qualitative research for interpreting the results (November-December 2019) During this stage, a second series of group interviews was conducted whose purpose was to interpret the results of the survey after the initial processing of the accumulated data. The users of statistical data were presented the results of the survey after which the motivation of the respondents ‘options was discussed by groups of users and data fields used, arguments were accumulated in favor of the respondents’ options, some conclusions of the implementation team were verified.
The report can be downloaded from here.